Cleveland Park Kitchen Remodel
Features• Maximization of cabinet storage in a small kitchen
• A creative solution for placing the microwave
•Dura Supreme Rock Bottom cabinet finish
Project DetailsBeing a small kitchen in an old building in DC posed some challenges. This kitchen was a 3rd floor ‘walk-up’ meaning no elevator. There were also the usual quarks of older buildings, plaster walls and ceilings that are out of plumb and outdated electrical.
Our clients wanted to maximize storage space in their small kitchen. Fortunately we were able to use custom fit cabinetry to make the most space
This kitchen demonstrates what is achievable with custom fit cabinetry. We were able to take advantage of the space across from the range by adding cabinets to fit. Also stacked cabinetry that brought the crown molding to the ceiling added storage. The paneled fridge and dishwasher create a cohesive look.
A unique feature in this kitchen is the microwave storage and open shelving. Formerly this space was used as a lever system to bring heavy items from the floor up into the unit. The lever system was no longer functioning. During the demolition phase we were able to determine more space was available here than thought, which is always great news in a small kitchen.
Project CostsTotal: $58,348.22 + Appliances
including all materials (except for appliances), design, and construction. Heading into construction we were expecting change work orders. Our clients were aware. In an older kitchen like this one there are usually unforeseen conditions aka surprises. Add to it a dishwasher that leaked and we were sure to have more work once we opened the walls.
In this case we ended up having to run 5 new dedicated electrical lines from the breaker box. Also the homeowners decided they wanted to run the backsplash tile to the ceiling. Luckily we had enough tile to do it. Tiling the entire space completes the look of this kitchen and gives it a luxury feel.
Fixtures and Materials Used
- Dura Supreme Inset Hudson Flat Panel
- Curated Color Collection Rock Bottom (SW 7062)
- Standard Drawer Box
- Rejuvenation Ball Cabinet Knob by Rejuvenation - Unlaqured Brass Finish
- Rejuvenation Large Oval Cupboard Latch by Rejuvenation - Unlaqured Brass Finish
- Rejuvenation Massey Bin Pull by Rejuvenation - Unlaqured Brass Finish
- Rejuvenation Large Massey Drawer Pull - Unlaqured Brass Finish
- Turkish Carrara
- Countertop Finish Polished
- Edge Profile Eased
- Rohl Allia Fireclay Single Bowl Undermount Kitchen Sink
- Archtecural Ceramics 3x6 Calacatta Chablis
- White ployblend grout
- New wood floors, install unfinished floors, sand & finish on-site, to match as close as possible to the existing floor
- Horizontal brick pattern
- Task Lighting SF9Q series, 2700k. Lighting under each wall cabinet.
- LED Light Recessed
- 800 Series Built-in Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
- Breeze I Under-Cabinet
- Thor Kitchen HRG3080U 30" Freestanding Professional Style Gas Range with 4.2 cu. ft. Oven, 4 Burners, Convection Fan, Cast Iron Grates, and Blue Porcelain Oven Interior, in Stainless Steel
- Monogram ZEM115SJSS
- 24 Inch 1.1 cu. ft. Capacity Countertop Microwave with 800 Cooking Watts, Quick Cook, Sensor Cook
- Bosch SHV863WB3N 24" 300 Series Dishwasher with 3rd Rack, 44 dBA, FlexSpace Tines, RackMatic, Speed60, in Panel Ready